Thursday, February 10, 2011

My writing process

In beginning to write a paper, I go through a few steps to get the job done. First, and most importantly, I must be relaxed and clear-headed before thinking creatively and piecing my words together. If I'm tired and/or stressed out, it will be much more difficult and significantly less effective in getting the job done. That being said, I like to eat beforehand so I'm in "writing mode" when I begin. Normally, I steer clear of Microsoft Word and the computer in general before composing a paper, preferring blank pieces of paper and a pen instead. When I've got these, I sit down and brainstorm, scribbling messy ideas onto paper in bullet points to get some ideas and key points going. After I have some ideas, it is time to decide in what logical order the key points and information should go in. I start out with a topic sentence and figure out how to say what I want to be said, in the order neccessary. After putting together a rough draft on paper, it's time to type it up on the computer. I like to print off a copy when I'm finished typing and read it to myself to see what I could improve or take out. After I've edited my rough draft to my satisfaction, I go ahead and type the real thing.

     As far as the topic for my research paper goes, I'm a little lost. Many of the topics listed struck a chord with me which is why it's difficult for me to choose. I know I am definitely leaning toward abortion though, because I have felt very strongly of my position on this topic since I was pretty young. This would also give me plenty to write about and keep me interested.

No comments:

Post a Comment